Monday, May 6, 2013


Picture










Happy Family Day everyone!  I hope you are all doing something special with your loved ones.  Appreciate every moment with them today, tomorrow and forever.  I know we all became our own little family too so I am thinking of you all, as I usually do anyways :)

Thank you so very much for my Valentine's Day package!  I was so thrilled and ALL of the nurses were very jealous!  You guys are so sweet, I am the luckiest teacher in the world.  I think the nurses wish they got into teaching now and became a Grade 7 teacher - but I told them that not very many Grade 7 classes are anything like you guys... you are all very special!  Before I forget, I have to tell you that my doctor looks like EXACTLY like Psy from gangnum style!  It is craaaazy... he wears this bright shirt and a bow tie every single day.  I will have to take a creeper picture (Sage style) so I can show you guys!

I know a lot of you are curious as to what's happening to me so I will try to explain it a little bit.  I am on day 14 of my stay here.  I have been off chemo for a few days now, but I am still hooked up to a lot of antibiotics.  This is because the chemo wiped out all of my white blood cells so I am very prone to infections (this is called being "neutropenic", just a fancy word for those of you who like the facts).  I have to stay in my room and limit visitors for a while until my white blood cell count is back up to normal.  White blood cells are for helping your body fight off infections or the flu when you are not well.  The reason the chemo wiped them all out is because I had a lot of leukemia cells and now they are hoping they killed off all of those ones and that new and healthy cells will stem back up through my body.  It will take about another two weeks for my white blood cell count to be similar to yours.  Once my white blood cell count is normal they will check to see if they if there are any leukemia cells left.  It's hard to kill off those leukemia cells through only one round of chemo, so I will probably have at least 2 more rounds.  I get to go home for a week when my white blood cell count is normal to take a little break before my next round of chemo, however, they want me to be very careful not pick up the flu.  If I catch the flu on my week home it will delay the next round of chemo which needs to be started on schedule.  Unfortunately this means I am not supposed to visit schools for a little while (he did say I should be okay a few months down the road, so my when I get the okay to step foot into the school I'll be heading straight to you guys)!  I am allowed to make quick trips out and about for that week and live a semi-normal life, but I do have to bring my hand sanitizer anywhere I go.  I get to visit Noelle as long as I have pants and a long sleeve shirt on because I can't risk any scratches - I miss her SO much!  I hear that Mrs. Jessop thought Noelle was a cat, she's so funny!

So anyways, I hope that gives you a small idea of what's going on and answers some questions you may be having!  I know I sound like I'm living in a bubble but I have great nurses, doctors, and support from wonderful people like you guys surrounding me each day!  I really miss you all and I hear you are all being so good!  This makes me so proud and I know you guys will keep it up!  I will write soon okay :)  Lots and lots of love,

Miss Foley 

No comments:

Post a Comment